COACH-ATHLETE CONTACT (“Camps & Clinics Rule”) 281-36.15(6)
Summer camps and clinics and coaching contacts out of season.
The new Coach-Athlete Contact Rule went into effect January 14, 2015. The change in the new rule states: “Coaching activities between June 1 and the first day of fall sports practices shall not conflict with sports in season.” The purpose of the rule has not changed only the definition of when summer begins.
The entire rule now reads as follows:
281-36.15(6) Summer camps and clinics and coaching contacts out of season.
- School personnel, whether employed or volunteers, of a member or associate member school shall not coach that school’s student athletes during the school year in a sport for which the school personnel are currently under contract or are volunteers, outside the period from the official first day of practice through the finals of tournament play. Provided, however, school personnel may coach a senior student from the coach’s school in an all-star contest once the senior student’s interscholastic athletic season for that sport has concluded. In addition, volunteer or compensated coaching personnel shall not require students to participate in any activities outside the season of that coach’s sport as a condition of participation in the coach’s sport during its season.
- A summer team or individual camp or clinic held at a member or associate member school facility shall not conflict with sports in season. Coaching activities between June 1 and the first day of fall sports practices shall not conflict with sports in season.
- Penalty: A school whose volunteer or compensated coaching personnel violate this rule is ineligible to participate in a governing organization-sponsored event in that sport for one year with the violator(s) coaching.
Here are three important clarifications:
1) Even if school is out before June 1, no coach-athlete contact can take place until June 1.
2) EXCEPTION FOR 2015 ONLY: If coaches or students have already paid a non-refundable entry fee for a summer camp that begins before June 1 they are allowed to attend the camp because of the late notification regarding this rule change.
3) The definition of “the first day of fall sports practices” is when all fall sport practices start, not when Week 0 football practice starts. For the 2015-16 school year all fall sports practices start on Monday, August 10.