BASKETBALL MEMO – February 2, 2018
ATTENTION ATHLETIC DIRECTORS AND HEAD GIRLS BASKETBALL COACHES
Congratulations to all on a remarkable 2017-2018 girl’s basketball season! Many positive things have occurred this season. Foremost, I would like to thank the coaches and players for being tremendous role models and examples for what educational-based athletics is about. I have received a number of emails praising our young people!! Way to be great leaders as athletic administrators and head çoaches! As we near the end of the regular season and the beginning of the tournament trail to Wells Fargo Arena, we wanted to give each of you a few reminders and items of interest.
- The IGHSAU will no longer be mailing Regional hosts tickets to sell for the Regional games. Please use your own tickets that you use throughout the regular season. If you would like some tickets to use for the Regionals , please contact Sherry Tegtmeier in the IGHSAU office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Regional pairings have been posted to the IGHSAU website. We thank all of the schools that are helping out in hosting games during the post-season. Please refer to the IGHSAU website – under basketball to get the important items needed for hosting and/or participating in the Regionals. Items such as the Regional roster checklist to get to the host schools, Regional host checklist guidelines, Regional Girls Basketball Financial report, State Girls Basketball Tournament schedule, and the State Girls Basketball Manual are posted on the IGHSAU website.
- Following the regional games in which you are hosting, please enter and post the scores on Tourney Machine (same process as previously-the IGHSAU will be emailing out some instructions to the coaches and Athletic Directors). If you have questions on this, please contact Jason Eslinger at 515-240-7649. If you have questions related to your Regional games, please contact Gary Ross at 515-975-3729. Also, a reminder to coaches: QuikStats must be updated by noon on the day following your regional games.
- Throughout the year, the IGHSAU and the IHSAA have fielded a large number of questions related to colors of undershirts, sleeves, braces, tights, etc. Chuck Brittain, Supervisor of Officials will be contacting the officials to deliver a similar message. The following is the NFHS rule:
“Undershirts shall be a single solid color to the torso of the jersey and shall be hemmed and not have frayed or ragged edges and if there are sleeves they must be the same length. Arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, compression shorts are permissible. Anything worn on the arm and or leg is a sleeve, except a knee brace (exempt from color restrictions) and shall meet the color restrictions. These items shall be black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the jersey and the same color shall be worn by all teammates who have these items-any head band or wristband worn must also be the same color as the other items.”
- Regional final hosts – in your mailing prior to the Regionals you will receive the banner, medals, bag tags, “Ticket Punched” placard, and instructions for the upcoming state basketball tournament.
At any time please contact me at email@example.com or call me with any questions you have. Best of luck the rest of the season!!
Gary Ross, Associate Director