1. Love the outdoors? Check out Brenton Skating Plaza! Located along the Des Moines River, Brenton Skating Plaza is Des Moines’ only outdoor ice-skating rink. Brenton provides skyline views and easy access to downtown restaurants including Malo, Zombie Burger, Americana and more. Whether you’re an old pro or a beginner, Brenton is the perfect place to enjoy a few laps around the ice.
2. The Iowa Deer Classic will be in Des Moines March 6 to March 8 just a few steps from the Girls State Basketball Tournament at Wells Fargo Arena. Come check out the greatest show in the country for trophy whitetail between games!
3. Greater Des Moines is also a shopping destination to suit any fashion trend. From factory discounts at the Outlets of Des Moines, antique stores and art galleries at Historic Valley Junction and an array of boutiques at Historic East Village, the shopping possibilities in Greater Des Moines are endless. To see all the shopping districts, click HERE.
4. Find your happy place at Smash Park! Smash Park offers many indoor and outdoor activities for everyone. Indoor activities include pickleball, shuffleboard, ping pong, cornhole and more! While you’re there make sure to grab some “nacho average nachos” or a “full court” snack plate.
5. The dining options in Greater Des Moines can please the wildest of taste buds. If you’re feeling adventurous, head over to Fong’s and order some of their crazy-but-delicious pizzas, including Crab Rangoon or the 4thStreet Special. Farm-to-table dining is also something to try in Greater Des Moines. The Machine Shed’s “Dedicated to the American Farmer” mission makes for some of the best Midwest comforts. Serving up a cinnamon roll as big as your head or a classic chicken pot pie, The Machine Shed offers a home-cooked dining experience. For more dining options, click HERE.
6. If you love to learn or enjoy science, head over to Science Center of Iowa. The Science Center offers exhibits for any science enthusiasts. Make sure to check out their new exhibit, Brick by Brick. Pairing Lego-built structures with hands-on learning, Brick by Brick showcases how architects and engineers push the limits of design to make the seemingly impossible, possible. Offering exhibits for all ages, check out the life cycle of a star, the arrow dynamics of a paper rocket or an interactive news studio!
7. If you’re looking for the area’s newest trendy shopping and eating spot look no further than The District at Prairie Trail in Ankeny! Full of boutique shops, delicious eateries and exciting attractions The District at Prairie Trail has plenty to keep you entertained between games.
8. If live action is more your speed, check out the Des Moines Buccaneers take on the Omaha Lancers on March 6 at 7:05PM. There is sure to be exciting action on the rink!
9. USA’s fastest and best swimmers will be in Des Moines taking part in the TYR Pro Swim Series Des Moines event at the MidAmerican Energy Aquatic Center at the Wellmark YMCA from March 4 to March 7. Come watch USA’s best before they swim in Tokyo at the Olympics this Summer!
10. Looking to get a glimpse of spring before it starts? Check out the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden! The Garden offers visitors a chance to cultivate nature’s beauty all year round. This tropical conservancy is a one-of-a-kind stop for your wintery Des Moines weekend. When you’re finished at the garden, visit Trellis Café, serving a locally sourced, plant-based menu that changes monthly. The café overlooks the Botanical Garden’s water garden and beyond!