May 14, 2019
TO: State Tennis Participating Schools, Class 1A and 2A
SUBJECT: State Meet Information
INDIVIDUAL PLAY SINGLES & DOUBLES
Headquarters for the State Meet will be: : Class 1A – Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex, Iowa City and Class 2A – Bettendorf High School Tennis Complex, Bettendorf. These are the sites for Singles and Doubles play for the dates of May 29 and May 30.
NEW this year: Spectator admission of $10 per person (school age and older) will be charged at the 2019 State Tennis sites. Please take time to inform your spectators/parents that admission will be charged at the State site venues. May 29, May 30 and June 1.
After qualifying for the State Meet you will make your own reservations for your squad in Iowa City/Bettendorf areas. Singles and doubles regulations are found below this correspondence and in the 2019 Tennis Manual. Singles and doubles play will take play on Wednesday May 29 and Thursday May 30 . The coaches' meeting is at 9:00 a.m., play to commence at 10:00 a.m. We would like to have all players ready for a group picture for spectators at 9:40 a.m. Please tell your spectators that this would be a time for them to take this type of picture. Consolation bracket will be used, so that all players going to Iowa City and Bettendorf would play a minimum of two matches. Consolation matches may begin earlier on Thursday ( 2nd day) with the main draw playing at 10:00 a.m.
Team tennis will play first round of this tournament at sites assigned across the state on May 20th and 21st . Then the final four teams will be played on June 1stat Des Moines area sites TBA per their respective classes. Tennis will start on the 1st at 8:30 a.m. with the coaches’ meeting at 8:00 a.m. (that is a new time change) Finals will be played at 2:00 p.m. if all teams have a minimum one hour break after the conclusion of the morning semi-finals. Time sequence will be set by the Tournament Manager.
Should weather conditions require the state team or individual tennis tournament be played using indoor facilities, reminder is given only white, clear-soled or non marking tennis shoes be worn. Indoor facilities will not permit players to wear dark-soled shoes that mark the court. Players will not be permitted to participate without white, clear soled, or non marking shoes. All State Team Matches end when a team reaches 5 team points.
We look forward to seeing you in Iowa City and Bettendorf.
Craig Ihnen & Jean Berger
State Tournament Schedule and Regulations
Singles and Doubles -- Both Classes
The Iowa Girls' High School Athletic Union State Tennis Tournament will be headquartered at: Class 1A –Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex, Iowa City and Class 2A- Bettendorf High School Tennis Complex, Bettendorf.
The following schedule and regulations will be followed during the Tournament:
- Coaches will be at their assigned courts on Wednesday, 9:00 a.m. for pre-tournament coaches meeting.
- First round play in both singles and doubles will begin at 10:00 a.m. A consolation bracket will be played.
- If a match goes three sets you will have ten minutes rest between second and third sets.
- Time between matches through the quarter-finals will be set by the Tournament Manager.
- Be sure to check with the Tournament Manager in reference to the scheduled match times. These times will be posted on the draw sheet. If a girl and coach is not ready to play at the scheduled time, a forfeit will be declared.
- Only ten minutes will be allowed for warm-up. The coaches should see that this is enforced.
- Coaches will be permitted to talk with their players briefly between sets and at the 90 second crossover.
- Coaches and non-participating players will not be permitted inside the courts unless they are in the bleachers.
- Please refer to the Tennis Manual for any Tournament clarification.
- In case of rain, the Tournament will be moved to the indoor courts, however, all coaches and teams are to check in at the assigned headquarters rain or shine by 9:00 a.m.
- Consolation bracket play will use the no add scoring system and all consolation matches in singles, doubles and team play will use the Match Tie-Break for any 3rd set!
Craig Ihnen and Jean Berger Phone: Work -- (515) 401-1834
STATE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
May 20th and 21st
3:00 p.m. sites across the state
Class 2A- Des Moines Area sites TBA
Class 1A –Des Moines Area sites TBA
Coaches Meeting -- 8:00a.m. * Start Play – 8:30 a.m. * Finals -- 2:00 p.m.
The consolation match will be played in team competition.
All Team Tennis matches end when a team scores 5 points at all levels.
No Add scoring for all Team Tennis play.
All 3rd Set play in team tennis will be Match tie-break.