Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union
Guidance Regarding Name, Image and Likeness
The following is intended to offer guidance to students, parents and member schools regarding the use of Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL).
A student may earn compensation from the use of their Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) consistent with current IHSAA/IGHSAU regulations and provided:
- The compensation is not contingent on specific athletic performance or achievement (e.g., financial incentives based on points scored, place in tournament).
- The compensation (or prospective compensation) is not provided as an inducement to attend a particular school (“undue influence”) or to remain enrolled at a particular school.
- The compensation is not provided by the school or an agent of the school (e.g., booster club, foundation, etc.).
In seeking compensation for NIL:
- The student should not use the IGHSAU or member school marks or logos in any NIL activity.
- The student should not wear apparel or equipment which includes the IHSAA/IGHSAU logo or member school marks or logos in any NIL activity.
- Student should not reference the IGHSAU or member school name or mascot in any NIL activity.
- The student should not use a member school’s facilities in any NIL activity.
- The student should not promote activities nor products associated with the following: gaming/gambling; alcoholic beverages, tobacco, cannabis, or related products; banned or illegal substances; adult entertainment products or services; or weapons (e.g., firearms).
- The student and his/her family should seek guidance from his/her member school.
- The student and his/her family should seek their own legal counsel when considering any NIL activity.
- The student and his/her family should contact the NCAA, NJCAA, and/or NAIA to ensure any NIL activity does not jeopardize collegiate eligibility.