This page will serve as a hub for regular updates and Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union resources to share with administrators, coaches, student-athletes, officials, and fans during this unprecedented and unpredictable time as COVID-19 impacts Iowa and the world.
Check back for frequent updates and be sure to follow the IGHSAU on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for the latest news and information.
COVID-19 Reopening Guidance - May 20, 2020
Use of School Facilities - May 20, 2020
Summer Sports Update - May 18, 2020
Iowa High School Spring Sports Canceled - April 17, 2020
- In conjunction with the Iowa Department of Education and state officials, the IGHSAU and IHSAA announced the cancellation of spring sports on April 17, 2020.
- An updated list of information and answers to frequently asked questions. A good resource for administrators, coaches, and student-athletes seeking information about contact rules, eligibility and more.
- The state office is closed indefinitely due to COVID-19, but all IGHSAU and IHSSA staff are working from home and are available for questions and assistance.
- Updated schedule information for spring and summer sports; outdated as of April 17.
Softball Season Date Changes & Updates - April 10, 2020
- Updates to the softball season based on the extension of school closures; outdated as of April 17.
School Closures & Spring Activities Update - April 3, 2020
- Updated information based on the extension of school closures; outdated as of April 17.
IGHSAU Clincs Postponed - March 16, 2020
- Listing of all clinics postponed as of March 16, 2020.
School Closures Suspend Iowa High School Spring Activities - March 16, 2020
- Original joint release on spring activities being suspended; outdated as of April 17.
State & Partner Links
In cooperation with the IHSAA, the IGHSAU worked to try and provide these spring activities for student-athletes. However, through guidance from Governor Kim Reynolds, the Iowa Department of Public Health, the Iowa Department of Education, and public health authorities, these sports were canceled as of April 17, 2020.
Both softball (girls) and baseball (boys) are considered summer sports in Iowa. These activities are suspended pending an assessment made in collaboration with state officials before June. Practice, competition, and postseason dates will be announced when they become available.
- Student-athletes pursuing NCAA sports should stay updated on eligibility information, including these FAQs for 2020 grads.
As we continue through unprecedented time, we must do our best to support and uplift each other. We encourage you all to share content with us on social media - share your in-home workouts, stories about your team and teammates, or how your community is coming together (at least 6-feet apart) to support one another. With your stories and a few of our own, we'll continue to highlight what makes the #IowaGirl special. Be sure to use the hashtag #IGHSAUAtHome on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.